Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Finally...Green Martians! (The Making of a Princess of Mars, Week 7)



The abstract drawing approach continues to yield results, and moves me ever closer to the specific feeling and style I desire for the book.
I was recently hit with a cold, and was unable to draw yesterday, but felt well enough this morning to pick up the pencil again. I worked in a smaller format frame, about nine by twelve inches, and this is what happened.
After five or six attempts at drawing the Green Martians in the last few weeks, I finally nailed the essence of what I was trying to capture. The Green Martians are difficult to draw because, being true to Burroughs’ description, they can easily appear cartoonish or puppet-like. This time I was able to portray them as if they are actual living beings with distinct character and personalities, caught in a moment during a rest on a march across the desert. I also brought a rather slinking, animated feeling to the creatures, and the scene helped enhance this sensual, lazy, dreamlike vibe.
I hope you enjoy previewing this preliminary sketch. And I hope you like my portrayal of the Green Martians.

Sincerely,
Robert Zoltan

No comments:

Post a Comment